If you look at the picture of the girl above with her hands in the air, her arms would have to be touching the ground around her ankles to have a flapper look.
It’s called the “arm dip” and its purpose is to create the illusion that the arms aren’t touching the ground.
The arms, though, can’t touch the ground. They’re still in a flapper outfit. Here are some of the basic arm dips:
1. Hands crossed at head (left hand down, right hand up)
2. Hands clasped at stomach (right hand up, left hand down)
3. Hands at hip (left fist in, right fist out)
4. Hands on knees (right fist in, left fist out)
5. Hands on hip and knees (left fist in, right fist out)
6. Posing with hands in pockets (left hand with thumb at pocket, right hand without thumb)
7. Posing with both hands on knees (right thumb on knee, center thumb on hip)
8. Arm dip with right arm on floor (center finger on back of hand, left hand gripping wrist)
9. Arm dip with left arm on floor (center finger on back of hand, left hand gripping wrist)
10. Arm dip with left arm on chair (middle finger on palm of hand, right hand gripping wrist)
11. Arm dip with right arm on chair (middle finger on back of hand, right hand gripping wrist)
12. Arm dip with left arm on chair (center finger on back of hand, left hand gripping wrist)
13. “Ting-ho” flappers (right hand on foot, middle finger around the back of the hand, left hand holding wrist)
You’d notice that most flappers of these types use the same arm dip to get from their waist to their hips. They put both hands into the pockets and make the whole thing look like they’re hanging there without.
However, there are two exceptions to the rule and flapper girl extraordinaire Linda Ritchie doesn’t seem to like them.
Ritchie’s hair is tied into a neat bun on each side, which makes her arms stick straight out and almost horizontal. So her arms dip downward, but only enough to create an illusion of their arms not touching the floor.
Her arms dip from the waist to the hips,
20s flapper dress transparent dressings for tattoos, 1920’s plus size flapper dress, the roaring 20s flapper dress, 1920s flapper dresses for sale near me, 1920 flapper dresses with sleeves